Re: QUESTIONS about the TI-86!?!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: QUESTIONS about the TI-86!?!

On Sat, 21 Jun 1997, Richard Bowman wrote:
> You must certainly do "compile" assembler code. It is just another language
> just like C++ or BASIC, which is then converted into machine code.
>
> BowmanSoft Software
> http://www.bowmansoft.com/
> Web Hosting and Design Services

You could say that.

Notice that you see people selling Microsoft C compilers, and MASM assemblers.
You don't see any `Assembly compilers' or `C assemblers'.

Also I would suggest that they are fundamentally different operations. In
assembling, there is a well-defined mapping between the assembler commands and
the machine language. And since you can convert between the two freely, you
could even say that you are programming in the chip's native language, but
expressing yourself in a form easier to understand than bits and numbers. Sort
of like the way we express numbers in base 10, and the *same* number inside
the computer is expressed in base 2.

Regardless of whether you think it's compiling or not, nobody calls it that.
=8-)

Follow-Ups: References: