Re: No TI-86. TI-85 or TI-83?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: No TI-86. TI-85 or TI-83?

At 07:58 AM 8/26/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Resolution: Who cares what the resolution of the screen is?  If you are
>looking at a graph, it looks nearly identical.  Jeff is however correct in
>that there are more characters available on a line (16 on an 83, 21 on an
>86).  So why is resolution so important?  Obviously for playing games, not
>the real reason for getting a calculator, I suspect.

The resolution DOES make an effect, viewing more is more convinient.  The
graph does not look almost identical, you can view a decent amount more
with a higher resolution.

>Features: 7No question about it.  The 85/6 has tons of built-in features
>that the 83 does not have.  For the most part, my students use two of them.
> Root solvers and simultaneous equation solvers.  For the rediculously few
>quadratics one is asked to solve in school, this is hardly an issue.  I
>seem to recall seeing yet another in an endless list of TI-82 quad solvers
>on this list a couple of days ago.  How many simultaneous equations do you
>actually solve in your entire High School years, 20, 25?

The TI-85 is meant for more than High School.  The 85 also has more
functions that I use on a daily basis.

>On the other hand, the 83 gives you a full set of statisical and financial
>tools not found on the 85/86.  Yes, I know.  The 86 has ton's of memory and
>you can program them in.  I have not download the '86 asm financial
>functions that were mentioned in a previous post from King, but I don't
>think they are nearly as powerful as the built-in ones on the 83.  I may be
>wrong on this one.

How many financial and statystical tools do I need?  None.  You see, baised
on different courses you need different things.

>The real question in selecting a calc is "for what do you need it."  If you
>are a student who is primarily interested in using the calc for its
>intended purposes, specifically your math and science classes, I believe
>the the 83 is a much better choice.  If, on the other hand, you are
>primarily interested in asm programming and games, clearly the 86 is the
>better choice.

EVERY teacher I have EVER talked to suggests for math & science students
the 85 or 86, and for non-math / sci related fiedls the 83, sorry, bucko,
but I'm going to listen to my teachers and not you.

---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@writeme.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...