Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Answer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP48 vs. TI92 - The Answer

On Sat, 31 Aug 1996, David Rice wrote:

> I have seen many HP48 vs. TI92 threads, and I vowed never to get
> involved, but I actually own both of these calculators, and I think I've
> figured out the answer to which is "best".
So have I. So did I. So do I. So have I. :)

> For real-world applications, which involve mainly numeric manipulations,
> the HP48G(X) is the clear winner.  Its numerical integration capabilities
> and differential equation solver clearly put it ahead of the TI92 for
> these applications.
I agree. I figure TI should hav left out the Geometry library and added a
ODE solver. And units if you ask me...

> For the contrived problems presented in a school environment, the TI92 is
> usually best.  Many problems call for symbolic solutions and tedious
> algebraic manipulations.  The TI92 can do these straight out of the box.
> The HP48GX can do many of these things with add-ons, but the HP48G lacks
> the memory to use many such programs.
Which is why I use my TI for classes like Emag and Communications which
are Fourier integral intensive. You can't beat the 92s built in symbolics
capability even with addons. It amazes me how long it takes the 92 to do
things such as inverses of matrices. I wonder why this is..

> So, if you are a "real-world" engineer/scientist/etc., or you go to a
> school which is enlightened enough to present you with real-world
> problems, then by all means buy an HP48G(X).

I will never give up my HP. I have had one for 4 yrs and it is by far the
best calc in the world. It is as you said. It is designed for the
Professional. The 92 is targeted for students which I am at the moment
but it is good at what it does.

> On the other hand, if most of your calculator use is for contrived school
> assignments, then the TI92 is probably the best choice.  When you get a
> real job, sell it and get an HP.
I believe I will keep both. But then again, I am a calculator addict. I
must have the latest technology in my posession at all times. I will
always buy the newest products as they come out. Sad isn't it. :-P

> There, that wasn't so hard, was it?
Not at all.
> --
> David Rice
> <drice@asu.edu>

P.S. I wrote a RPL shell for my TI for the times when I need to use it. :-)
                  ____| >o-'--< Al Arduengo
                 _+_  |/
                  -