Re: The Square of the Root Delima!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Square of the Root Delima!

Well, I just got done with the experiment, and here's what i figure:  The
92 can deal with imaginary numbers much better than the 85.  if you press
mode, you can choose whether or not to display complex numbers, or just
output an error.  when the 92 is evaluating the funciton, it evaluates all
the way until the end of the funcion before displaying.  so, when it takes
root(-1), it returns i, and then computes (i)^2, which is indeed -1. it
determins that -1 is a real number and therefore displays it.  this isn't a
discrepency, it's just another way of handeling imaginary numbers.

jj