Re: y(x) = abs(log(x))

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: y(x) = abs(log(x))

Actually, the 85 does put an asymptote at the y-axis... but for x<0, abs
log x is returning the modulus of a complex number.  That's why the graph
looks a little different on the left side of the axis.

log(-10) = 1+1.36437i
abs(1+1.36437i) = 1.69160 < the distance to the origin of this number, as
viewed                              on the complex plane.

At 07:32 11/20/96 GMT, Simone P Powell wrote:
>I was surprised when I graphed y = abs(log(x)) on the TI-85 veiw screen.
>I was also surprised that the TI-81 and 82 did a better job at graphing
>the function than the 85.  The graph is asymtotic to the y-axis, and it
>appears that is what the 81 and 82 is trying to display.  However, the
>TI-85 is way off the mark.  Can someone tell me how accurate the TI80, 83
>or 92 does on this function?
>
>--
>
>Sam Powell

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| Due to financial difficulties, the light at the end of |
|   the tunnel has been permanently disconnected.        |
| The packet goes out the card, into the copper, out     |
|   the router, onto the fiber, across the world, thru   |
|   the copper............       NOTHING BUT NET.        |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |
|         *** (80% post-consumer) ***                    |