Re: TI sucks HP rules

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI sucks HP rules

I guess I must not get it.  This thread is out of control.  Obviously one
should always choose the equipment that is appropriate for the job.  Clearly
a laptop is not more appropriate for school work than is a powerful handheld
calculator.  Having said that, the question becomes, what is appropriate?

The TI85 or 92 or 83 is probably just find for calculus, trig, third year
high school mathematics, geometry, etc.  But, is the 83 sufficient for AP
statistics?  Of course not.  While it may have many of the statistical
functions built in, it was never designed to edit and manipulate large data
sets.  Nor would it be appropriate to do finite analysis or complex 3d
rendering on handhelds.

But while we are on the topic of appropriatness, I just thought I would take
another shot at the inconsistency in this group.  While most would agree
that using the correct tool for the job should be the criteria, you refuse
to accept the concept that the appropriate tool for gameing is a gameboy,
gamegear, and the like, not a calculator.  Sure, the calculator can do
double duty, but other than the novilty, calculator based games are simply
not in the league of game gear.

Having said that, I can sit back and wait for the flames.