Re: TI sucks HP rules

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI sucks HP rules

In addition, the laptop is *much* larger and heavier, and you can't easily
sneak it into a standardised test...  For a good laptop with a built-in
CD-ROM, try around $3000... Plus Mathematica or Mathcad... another couple
hundred there... and a fax/modem - $300...  You're talking $3500+, versus
$160 for a TI-92... more than 20x the price increase... I don't think a
laptop is everyman's replacement calculator.  Granted, if you can afford it,
it DOES do a lot more.

I bought my TI-85 calculator for just that - a calculator.  If I needed
more, I would have purchased a laptop.  But I don't need a laptop.  I have
plenty of computers at home, work, and school for when I need the better
processing power...

Whoops... Gaming? Active matrix screen, or external monitor. $500.
Database? More memory and/or hard drive.  $400.  Sound manipulation? Sound
card, speakers.  $200.  Now where were we? $4600?  Hm... 4600 into 160...
pull out my 85 =) ... 28.75x a calculator? Not everyone can justify $4600
for a calculator...
At 16:06 8/2/96 GMT, you wrote:
>>Well I've owned several Brands of graphing calcs and have never felt the need
>>put someone else down based on what kind they had. I had also thought about
>the
>>48GX, but it was just too much money to put out on a calc. The TI-92 had the
>>features I wanted for a price I could afford. I love the qwerty keypad too,
>>absoultly love it! The 48GX can have memory upgrades but keep in mind they are
>not
>>inexpensive upgrades, usually much more expensive than computer memory. And
>lets
>>face it, the computer ALWAYS needs more memory. So here's the bottom line, I
>like
>>my TI-92, it works fine, it serves it's purpose, so leave it alone!
>
>Allow me to offer a different perspective. A laptop with Mathmatica
>can do everything and more that any calculator can do, and has
>many additional capabilities. Granted, it costs a lot more,
>but it will prove a more sound investment. It can replace:
>
>Discman
>Calculator
>Word Processor (rarely seen nowadays)
>Fax
>
>and has numerous other capabilites that are unique, such as
>spreadsheet/database, high-power gaming, sound manipulation,
>etc.

>Pat Gunn, a C programmer and member of TeamOS/2,
>User of NT, OS/2, PC-DOS7, Linux, etc. My homepage is http://ftp.apk.net/~qc
>Fan of Executor, a Mac emulator for DOS, Linux, and NeXT (see
>http://www.ardi.com)
>And then came the godly NEKO, a flying first strike 32/32 black creature

| Peter Kolbus                           +1.810.474.0872 |
| ae607@detroit.freenet.org      #include <disclaimer.h> |
| "640K should be enough for anybody"                    |
|             -Bill Gates, 1986                          |
| Who is General Failure, and why is he reading drive C? |
| ***Written using 100% recycled electrons***            |