[A92] Re: TI92+ HW2 AMS 2.05 ASM size limit

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 04:11:44PM -0700, Patrick Davidson wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Rudolf Polzer wrote:
>
> > Isn't the ASM size limit 24k on HW2, AMS 2.05?
>
> Yes, it is.
>
> > I have installed the HW2Patch, but my TIGCC program (22k) still
> > crashes. Interestingly, it crashes before my code is executed (the
> > first line to be executed is a clrscr()!) and I get an "Address
> > Error". If I run my program (compiled in Doors mode) in UniversalOS,
> > it works.
>
> The problem isn't likely due to the size limit.  If the program were over
> the size limit with no kernel installed, you'd get the "ASAP or Exec
> String Too Long" error message.  On HW2, there is a hardware protection to
> back up the size limit by prohibiting code being executed in certain
> address ranges, which can cause crashes if you try to run code outside the
> range without circumventing or deactivating the hardware protection (which
> HW2Patch does for you anyway).  In any case, unless your program tries to
> run code somewhere in RAM outside its own boundaries, this won't happen,
> and if it did the result would not be "Address Error" .

My code cannot be the fault here - the first thing I do is a
clrscr(), but the screen is not cleared before the call.
Also, if I leave out the big (11k) .o file and replace
it with a small one providing the same exported function
(with empty body), it works. But I call this function
_after_ getline() (TIGCC example code).

Maybe a bug in the linker? In the compiler? Is there a
working 9XZ disassembler?

I use no linker flags and '-Os -fno-omit-frame-pointer' as compiler
flags.

Follow-Ups: References: