A92: ASM support (methods)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: ASM support (methods)

Hm...the guys at TI oughtta take a look at how HP's operating system
handles asm programs (i.e. code objects).  I've been looking through the
Saturn microprocessor reference, and though our chip is superior
technically, their handling is very cool.  For example, programs get handed
addresses of the return stack and top level of the stack, as well as the
amount of free memory, etc.  Wouldn't it be great if TI-OS could hand us
things like, oh, our program's VAT handle, free memory, a pointer to our
temporary passed variables folder, etc?  Either in registers or on the
stack?  (If it passed them on the stack, it would pop them off itself after
our program exits.)
This would provide for better integration with the OS and would remove some
of the necessity for a third-party shell.  (Well, then again, so would an
SDK--but they're working on it! *grin*)
--Cliff Biffle

Optimist: This glass is half full.
Pessimist: This glass is half empty.
Cynic: Those bastards drank half my water on purpose, just to hurt me.

Follow-Ups: References: