Re: A92: 92+ asm

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A92: 92+ asm

At 09:37 1998-08-09 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 8/9/98 7:21:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, e96nbr@efd.lth.se
>writes:
>
>> One thing I'm curious about is if there will ever be a $5 parallel cable
>>  link program that handles Flashing... I'd hate to have to buy TI:s
>>  over-priced link cable just for that single purpose :(
>
>I would think that you'd need TI's overpriced link cable.  If I remember
>correctly, the updated rom images are in executable format, so they're
made to
>install themselves to the calc, not to be installed with another program.
>That brings up the obvious idea of extracting the ROM from the executable.
>However, I'd assume that TI keeps the ROM well encoded and stuff, or else
we'd
>be getting the ROMs for free even if we didn't have a 92+.
>Maybe we'll be able to outsmart them, maybe not.  I guess we'll just have to
>wait until people figure out more about the ROM update file format.
>It would be really nice to have this feature though, even though I have a TI
>cable and a parallel cable, because upgrading by TI cable would take a *long*
>time.

Here's an idea: since the ROM can also be transmitted calc-to-calc, can't
someone write a link program that extracts the ROM (or the Flash data
stream) from an already flashed calc? The same link program could then
simulate a transmitting calc when flashing.

This is of course illegal since you'd have to send the ROM to someone - but
that someone will so far always own a 92+, at least until Tiger supports it.

Niklas Brunlid - http://www.efd.lth.se/~e96nbr
PQF Quote follows:

There have, in the course of decadent history, been many large wigs, often
with build-in gewgaws to stop people having to look at boring hair all the
time. There had been ones big enough to contain pet mice or clockwork
ornaments. Mme Cupidor, mistress of Mad King Soup II, had one with a bird
cage in it, but on special state occasions wore one containing a perpetual
calendar, a floral clock and a take-away linguini shop.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)