A92: TI-92 Plus

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A92: TI-92 Plus

I find it interesting that, nowhere in TI's webpages is it mentioned that
the TI-92 Plus's 128K of extra RAM will cause the calc to run
faster...admittedly, the speed difference is rather small if you are
executing code from ROM, but it can be significant for RAM-intensive code.
(Not to mention, of course, that code in RAM runs about 70-80% faster.)

I have only one suggestion for the TI-92 Plus: a better built-in text
editor. One that implements PageUp and PageDown efficiently, rather than
scrolling line by line and redrawing all of the on-screen text each step of
the way. Also, word-wrap would be nice.

About porting Fargo/Fargo II to the TI-92 Plus...well, it would definately
be worthwhile. For at least three reasons:
1) To allow legacy Fargo/Fargo II programs to be run.
2) To provide advanced features such as relocation and library support.
(Although it is quite likely that the 92 Plus's built-in asm will include
relocation.)
3) To provide a nice shell interface whereby programs can be run. (Assuming
that VAR-LINK is not greatly improved.)

Of course, I'm assuming that the 92 Plus's built-in assembly will be
nothing like Fargo, though the fact that TI is giving built-in asm support
to a calculator *after* a shell was already written for it is without
precedent.

---
David Ellsworth
davidell@earthling.net