Re: LF: LCD Display

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LF: LCD Display

> Yes.  I noticed this even when I was playing with TI-92 Basic.  I also
> notice that the proportion of set pixels affect the "appropriate" contrast
> level.  I've found that if a program has a consistent amount of set pixels
> the contrast is okay, but if there are different screens sometimes you have
> to reset the contrast.  The LCD is definitely of poorer quality than the
> TI-85 (and downright terrible compared to my HP48SX and GX).  It is awfully
> nice to have a big screen though.

You can't expect TI to put a good LCD display in their calculators.
In the DIGI-KEY catalog, an LCD display with the resolution of the
TI-85's costs no less than $40.  An LCD display the size of the 92's
is no less than $120!!  These are retail prices, so TI could probably
get them for much less, or make them themselves.  The LCD is not a
good one because if it was, the calculators would be much more
expensive.  Besides, do you really need a quality LCD for displaying
numbers as it was designed to do?

-Ed