A89: Re: CORRECTION: Shift+ON

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: CORRECTION: Shift+ON

Hi!

> I downloaded the most recent doors source; apparently, the
> new version DOES use the event handler for Shift+ON (strange,
> certain "other" documentation doesn't appear to indicate you
> can detect the ON key with events =).

After a lot of experience, for me nothing is "strange" when
TI is in question: if my TI-89 starts to emit ghosts in the
space, like from Aladin's lamp, I will not be to surprised.

> However, TEOS and old versions of doors DO still use int 6,

TEOS 1.02 uses EV_hook

> which I personally believe is a much more elegant solution
> that installing a hook just for the shift+ON handler.

I agree.

> Allow me to pose the question to the list, then: which do
> you consider a "better" solution, a small wrapper for int 6,
> or an event handler?

Small wrapper for int 6. By the way, I just mentioned in the
tigcc documentation EV_hook method, because I saw it in TEOS
source.

> Seeing as the event handler poses some minor dificulties
> when installing multiple handlers and is likely to generate
> larger code, is that really a good idea?

Not so good.

> I should also mention that ASM programs are not intended to
> use the Event Handler (but as long as it works, use it!)...

Everything which exists is free for use in both C and ASM.

> Also, I find it odd that Xavier tests whether the shift key
> has been pressed EVERY SINGLE TIME

Strange.

> that CM_IDLE [Zeljko: you guessed that name wrong =]

Nothing strange: I think that a lot of my "guessed" names are
wrong. By the way, which is real name of CM_IDLE message?

> is called, rather that just checking when the on button is
> pressed? It's generating a bit more code and possibly
> interfering with the calc's "normal" operations (at least a
> little slowdown) for no reason I can determine...

By the way, does anybody know why kernels sometimes interfere
with some math functions (Solve for example)?

Cheers,

Zeljko