Re: A89: Got it.. Thanx anyway... by the way...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Got it.. Thanx anyway... by the way...

>     I don't think you can run DoorsOS on a HW2 calculator without
HW2patch,

This is only true if you're running AMS 2.01 or 2.03, and I believe this is
regardless of hardware version, and it only applies to old versions of doors
with the kernel being larger than 8k.

Although why anyone would still use DoorsOS rather than TEOS eludes me. . .

>     Differences between HW1 and HW2?  Hmmm, let's see... HW2 has more
> archive memory available (although MaxMem can be used on HW1s to give them
> the same benefit),

To be more precise, HW1 can only use half of the Flash memory for variables
(including programs) and the rest is limited to applications, unless you run
MaxMem, in which case the amount of memory is identical.

> and HW2 calcs run a bit faster (probably around 20% faster).

Your mileage will vary depending on what the calculator is doing while you
time it (primarily whether or not it is constantly accessing RAM), but this
is all due to 2 MHz increase and the hardware gate-array being used as an
LCD buffer so that DMA is not needed on every LCD refresh.

> Also, the LCD hardware on HW2 calcs is different, making grayscale
> slower and more flickery.

hmmmm. . . not entirely true (I'd question whether that causation is
established), but since the end result is the same. . . =)

> For some reason, some assembly language programs
> run slower on a HW2 (mostly the older ones I think).

Strange, I haven't seen or observed this?!?

    -Scott