A89: Re: Serial Communication in ASM

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A89: Re: Serial Communication in ASM

I'm not exactly the one to answer all of your questions, but I think that
the PC program only echos VT100 or other specific data over the serial port.
For this you would have to know about the VT100 standard and how it sends
and receives data.  I have no idea where to find this information other than
that it is probably on the net somewhere.

I think what your code does is just send binary data through the link port,
and since it is not VT100 standard, the PC doesn't display it.  If the PC
program did display anything, it would be in binary and look something like:
0010100011101100101110011010001011100001101100101101011011010101011010101010
10101010101010100101
since it is twelve characters long. (8bits per char)

I don't think baud rate has anything to do with this since this is a
hardware thing and the GL has a constant baud of 9600, and the PC adapts to
that.  Has anyone gotten the GL to do anything lower?  I've tried to connect
my GL to a very very old modem and it wouldn't work.

No handshaking is necessary in your example, since all the PC is doing is
echoing (displaying) what is sent over the serial port you specified.

Of course, I may be wrong about all of this and it might be something as
simple as you accidentally set the program to listen to the wrong COM port
=)

-Miles Raymond      EML: m_rayman@bigfoot.com
ICQ: 13217756       IRC: Killer2        AIM: MRayMan
http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_rayman/