Re: A89: the VAT

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: the VAT

In a message dated 01/11/1999 9:47:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
helious_c6@hotmail.com writes:

> A simple ROM upgrade will not move the VAT, things like the VAT,
>  bootsector, certificate for the ROM, and the linking routines, are all
>  stored in protrected Flash Memory. It's just like taking a floppy disk
>  and write-........because they're some of the best "Math" courses you
>  can find! Well, them and Calculous BC-AP, as well as EC-101! Plus, I
>  have
>  one thing that I'm sure very few of you have, if any at all, I have a
>  girlfriend!

The VAT is stored in RAM.  If it was in the Flash ROM, then every time you
added or deleted a file, it would write to the Flash ROM, which would degrade
your calculator's Flash ROM very quickly.
Take the Ti -89 BASIC program FlashRom for example.  This program continuously
Arachives and Unarchives an empty string variable.  I don't know why anyone
would post a program like this, but the net effect is that the calculator's
Flash ROM is written to so many times that it finally degrades.

Daniel Imfeld