Re: A89: Re: Street Fighter

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A89: Re: Street Fighter

I think you understood me wrong.

First off, Microsoft is a company, with many employees.  And there job
is to work on that stuff like debugging.  Whereas these are _two_
students who work on this (SF2t) for fun, or as a hobby.  And they dont
have nearly as much (I presume) time as ppl who do this from 9-5.

Also, I didnt say that it was a miracle that it didnt crash more.  Im
saying that, at least from my perspective (a not so advanced
programmer), it is pretty good.  I could never make somehthing like
this, and I am sure that a good chunk of this list wouldnt be able to
make SF2T.

Also, debugging takes so much time.  Uploading the file to the calc/emu.
Exhausting all possibilities of moves, contermoves, etc.

Theres my opinion.

- Matt

Zoltan Kocsi wrote:

>  > Did you ever think of how hard it is to debug a program this size?
>  > Probably not.  Think about it a bit.  You should be surprised that there
>  > are not more errors.
>
> May I beg to differ ? Programmers regularly crank out software which
> though (probably) not bug free, can run for very long periods of
> time indeed. These programs are quite often much much larger than
> anything you could fit in a TI's memory.
>
> It is a very dangerous concept to accept mediocre software for "it is
> so complex that it's a miracle that it doesn't crash more often". This
> attitude is rather advocated by Microsoft for their software is very
> crash prone. The rest of the software industry, however, has somehow
> higher standards. One example is the unix world, where customers are
> used to uptimes measured in months (sometimes years, with hot-swapable
> RAID disks). The other extremely stable area is the embedded systems
> where crashing is simply equivalent to the customer taking the device back
> for a replacement under warranty. They will not just reboot (a la Windows)
> their laserprinter, or car engine management, or the microwave or the
> answering machine or digital camera or whatever else they have. If it
> crashes, then it's broken. Actually, I haven't heard of game consoles
> crashing too often (I have no experience with them, though) and I
> believe that some of the games running with real-time 3D rendering
> are at least as complex as the TI89 games ...
>
> Regards,
>
> Zoltan

Follow-Ups: References: