[A86] Re: TI 86 Computer Algebra System

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mok Yi Lang writes:
> I'm trying to make one.  So far, I have been trying to implement one
> in VB just to try out functions.  If any one will be willing to help
> or work together, please reply to this mail.

There is already one for the 83+:

http://www.detachedsolutions.com/symbolic/

I suggest contacting Brandon and porting it to the 86.  I wanted to do this,
but ended up not having time.  You'll need to learn a lot about 86 internals
if you want to integrate it into the OS.

There is a lot more to a CAS than simply implementing RPN for simple
expressions.  Converting an infix expression to postfix and evaluating it is
relatively simple.  It is covered well by chapter 4, section 3 of
Sedgewick's Algorithms in C.  Simplication is a must for a CAS.  Compare
your pretty print to the pretty print generated by the 89.

There are references available for implementing a CAS, but they are
difficult to find.  Kirk Meyer told me there was a book available that
explained how to implement a CAS, but I don't remember the title.  A good
reference would be very useful, as the algorithms involved are quite
complex.

--
David Phillips <david@acz.org>
http://david.acz.org/