[A86] Re: TCP/IP stack

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: TCP/IP stack

>From: Notbynow@aol.com
>To: assembly-86@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: [A86] Re: TCP/IP stack
>Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:28:26 EDT
>
>        While all this sounds really cool,  I think yall are talking about
>turning the 86 into an 89 or something.  What's the point? If you want to
>start prying off rom chips and stuff, or have an external thing, all of
>which
>costs extra money, you could just as easily get a better calculator.  Maybe
>yall are just daydreaming, which is cool, but my opinion is to let old
>obsolete stuff die.  I think it would be better to design new, small
>upgrades
>to certain parts of the system rather than a whole new OS, but that's me.
>Please don't think I'm 'flaming' you, I just think maybe yall could
>re-direct
>your efforts into producing some high-speed hi-tech stuff for a better
>calc.

You bring up a valid point.  I did consider moving to the ti-89 because of
its supperior architecture and resources.  From what I've seen there is
little doubt that a UNIX-like OS couldn't be built for that platform with
networking and the works.  And I don't take any offense at all to your
words.  Although I am not so serious about the new OS idea, I am very
serious about the TCP/IP stack for the 86(I'm betting my senior project on
it).  A new OS would be nice, but it is unclear whether or not it is worth
doing.  Especially if it can't be done in an elegant and robust way.

later,

David E. West