[A86] Re: SDCC v2.3.0

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: SDCC v2.3.0

> The graphics routines included in the TIGCC library are themselves written
> in C, and just directly access buffers like this.  Of course, if your
> compiler tends to produce bad code, that might not be such a good idea.

There's no point in reinventing the wheel.  Pretty much every sprite routine
you'd need is already written.  It's the stuff that only runs once per frame
that doesn't need to be written in assembly.

> Though on a more broad level, I might like to know exactly what is the
> intended purpose of this particular project; while I have been told what
> isn't the purpose, I'm less certain as to what is.

The purpose (if you've been following the original thread started by me and
David West) is a language that makes it easy to write programs in while
still producing code that is as close as possible to hand written assembly
language.  If you remember a lot of demo's from the early 90's, you'll
notice a lot that were written using Turbo Pascal.  The real code would be
written in assembly, and everything else in Pascal.  It seemed to work
pretty well, since Turbo Pascal let you easily get close to the hardware and
write inline assembly everywhere.  Something like this for the calc would be
good, but specificially geared to z80.  You'd want to be able to define
exactly what register would be used for what, if needed.  Sure, you can do
this with C using language extensions, but C is not ideal for this, and
since you're writing a compiler from scratch, you might as well do it right.