[A86] Re: Some ideas?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A86] Re: Some ideas?

Listar apparently determines the content type of attachments using the
"Content-Type" header for the attachment, which is more "correct", than
attempting to guess the content type based on the actual contents (Internet
Explorer does this and it can cause problems).  If you want to attach a text
file, then your mail client needs to set the "Content-Type" header to an
appropriate value, such as "text/plain".

Your X-Mailer indicates you are using Outlook Express.  IE and OE on Win32
use the system MIME types, which are specified in the Windows Registry.  For
files with a ".asm" extension, modify the following registry key (create it
if it does not exist):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.asm

Add a string named "Content Type" with the value "text/plain".

My attached "test.asm" file should now be included in the message as plain
text.  However, this defeats the purpose of attachments, imho.  It is
probably easier to simply insert the file as plain text yourself rather than
assure that your mail client is properly configured to send the correct
content type.

> Odd, it did not send the source code I attached.  What happened?
>
> > -- Binary/unsupported file stripped by Listar --
> > -- Type: application/octet-stream
> > -- File: testingmap2.asm

-- Attached file included as plaintext by Listar --
-- File: test.asm

; test file

Follow-Ups: References: