Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

>Only two registers?  Perhaps it has been a while since doing any 86
>programming, but I could swear I use a lot more than two registers in my
>programs...

It is true there are more than 2 registers on the z80, but you can
only do math with two of them: HL(Address), and A (Accumulator).. you
can increment/decrement the others, but that is different than doing
add/sub/or/xor/and/etc operations, the other registers are required
as counters in certain loops (commonly B or BC), so the inc/dec were
required to work with all registers.

>I love the z80 instruction set!  (of course, it's also the only one that
>makes any sense to me...)  68k looks like it was invented by a demon.
>
>Cassady Roop

I agree the mnemonics for the z80 look a bit better not to mention
being a smaller set, but 68k has a much better implemented
instruction set, with a complete set of ops which can be used on
practically every register the 68000 chip has (you aren't limited
strictly to A and HL, you can use all the data and address registers
for math, although there is the obvious, you can't add an address and
a data reg, and then put it into a data reg... although I may be
mistaken)

-Krev
--
----
"Science describes how our universe reacts in a mathematical