Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: What C-compilers have we got? [82/83/83+/85/86]

>Have you ever bothered to look at the output of TI-GCC for the 68K
>calculators?
>
>While TI-GCC doesn't generate the best code possible, uses stack-based
>parameter passing, and favors speed over size, vast quantities of memory
>are by no means required for those programs.

I believe you may have misunderstood what I meant (after re-reading
my post, I didn't quite understand what I was typing either)...

I was referring to the fact that the z80-based 86 with the 8k limit
on RAM page 0 space for Asm programs, and the fact that the z80 has
only two registers with which to do math, and an extremely poor
instruction set compared to the 68k (I am a tad fuzzy on my 68k Asm,
as I have switched to using PPC-based hardware), which also has a
much better set of registers with which to do math. With I believe at
least 8-12 address and 8-12 data registers, one can do a lot more
without the need to use push/pop as often. I constantly find myself
pushing down my own data for counters/etc on the z80 for a more
complex routine, where you would NOT need this on the 68000 chip.
Also, the 68k manages to keep the opcode data pretty comparable to
the z80 opcode data, which means you have access to more stuff that
takes roughly the same space, maybe a little more. All of these
little things add up: 89/92/92+ is capable of handling a C-like
language... the other 8x calcs are just not as capable as the
68k-based calcs, and don't have the ability to handle a C compiler
without rather large and hefty overhead.

-Krev
--
----
"Science describes how our universe reacts in a mathematical