A86: Re: Strategy Games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A86: Re: Strategy Games

The screen size is too small, there is not enough memory, and the input is
inferior.
RTS games need a mouse, trackball, or pen to be played effectively. Also AI
is difficult to implement on multiple objects and path-finding is insanely
slow on a 6mhz processor.
Indeed, its difficult enough to have simple 5 character sprites moving on
screen at the same time on a simple scroller.

But I'm sure it can be done to some limited degree. I recommend using
grayscale. It doubles the memory
requirements but big deal. Just RLE compress the map and images and you can
stuff quite a bit in strings
and Ramp page 1. For 4-way RTS algorithms I recommend you use Kirk Meyer's
algorithm for 4-way grayscale scrolling maps.

Or you can use my source code, which is somewhat older but it works. Feel
free to take whatever you want.

http://www.acz.org/3programs.zip

- Matt Johnson

> Tis' me again, with another question, this time to get input on
> another project I have been working on, which is the Turn-Based
> strategy game.
>
> I was wondering why something like this has only ever been done once,
> and even then only in BASIC (huge, but decent). Sure someone has
> tried making C&C for the 86, and was gonna end up with a freakin'
> huge program, with large maps so he dropped the project... go figure.
>
> I believe that I have found a way to make an expandable map-driven
> turn-based version which will be an odd hybrid of C&C/Total
> Annihilation/RoboSport techniques to produce an insanely small
> program with a true behavioral-based AI.
> Maps themselves will take less than 1000 bytes apiece (30x30
> squares), which is the current maximum, but if it turns out I have
> room to spare in RAM page 1, I can expand this limit. Savegames will
> be fairly large (depending on the units/sides, up to 4 sides, around
> 128 units apiece) at around 1500 bytes on a heavy game. The data for
> the tilesets will be around 1k-2k (4 different map types, possibly
> more if I implement a proper tileset loader) with around 32-48
> different tiles for each set. Plus I currently have 7 mobile units
> and 6 buildings (including ones that can attack) with more coming.
> With this oddly compact data, there is a drawback: no greyscale. I
> have decided to keep greyscale OUT until I have a chance to
> finish/test the skirmish and link-play, and the tiles are all 8x8
> square...
>
> Well, my main question is asking why there is a lack of strategy
> warfare games out there, although input on the project itself is
> appreciated.
>
> -Krev

Follow-Ups: References: