Re: A86: Porting Question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Porting Question

asm programs are copied to $d748 before they are run so that the tios
never has to patch anything.
$0000-$7fff is rom space (usually)
$8000-$bfff is swapped ram space (usually)
$c000-$d748 is special varibles, text shadow, some interrupt programs,
etc.
the vat is on ram page 7, which is switched into $8000-$bfff, so you
couldn't overwrite that with a big program

you can't have a single asm program that's more than about 9k in size, if
you have a large amount of data, put it in an external string.  if it's
all code, things get a little trickier, but you can still split it into a
string.
once it's split into a string, copy it (with _mm_ldir or equiv) onto ram
page 1, then you can also use $8100-$bf00 or so.
i hear asm studio will automate some of this for you (but if you want
things to be easy, why write asm? :)

-josh

On Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:19:21 EST ADAMMAN106@aol.com writes:

> I have some questions regarding the memory of the TI-86.  I have
> never
> programmed for the 86, but I'm in the process of porting a program
> of mine
> (which I made for the 82) to the 86.
> First and foremost, why is the start address for assembly programs
> so high?
> Is all the memory before it used by the system?  This is the cause
> of all my
> problems...My program is >12K and not only would it overwrite the
> stack and
> VAT, but the addresses overflow and so it will not even compile
> correctly.
> Second, how can I overcome this?  I'm sure a lot of you have had
> this problem.
> Thank you,
> ~Adamman

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!