Re: A86: List / Challenge idea (was dismissal)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: List / Challenge idea (was dismissal)

Mario Paint for the SNES had some interesting ways to erase the canvas,
if I recall. One of my favorites was where the screen was divided into
vertical bars, and they started to move opposite ways, with one set
covering the other.

--James

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:54:25 -0600 "David Phillips" <david@acz.org>
writes:

>I agree!  This list has little value as it is, without losing any more
>good
>programmers!  I'm interested in seeing some graphics demos, is anyone
>else?
>
>I think we should have some contests.  The game of life has been used
>for
>many optimization challenges (this was Michael Abrash's first
>challenge),
>but I doubt too many people are up to writing a full screen game of
>life at
>30+ fps.  Besides, it would take too much time to write just for
>something
>cool to look at.  Something useful would be better.
>
>I'm all for grayscale graphics.  I was scared of doing grayscale for
>the
>longest time.  But once I started, I'm hooked!  There's nothing
>better...black and white just looks so plain!  So my two ideas are
>grayscale...
>
>First, screen transitions/effects.  There are all kinds of cool ways
>clear the screen.
>
>- One way that's very easy on the PC (one line in C!) but would take
>little more doing in asm is just filling the screen with black dots,
>at
>random spots until it's (almost) cleared.  This was used in
>Wolfenstein 3D
>(remember that game?!) when you died...the screen was filled with red
>dots
>simulating blood.
>- Another way is sheers.  This is where the screen is cut away at
>many
>places at the same time.  You might do it horizontally, where colums
>in
>multiples of 8 are cleared.  Or it can be done at a 45 degree angle,
>where
>say every 8x8 square is being rotated or swept away (hard to say, I
>know,
>maybe a demo).
>- Doom had a cool transistion.  The screen was eaten away by a bunch
>of
>"worms" that floated down the screen.   There are several ways to do
>it.
>You can just have the columns filled in with black at different
>intervals
>until it's cleared.  Or they can be shifted down.  I actually think
>Doom
>scaled the strips down, but I don't remember (that'd take some
>doing!).
>- I had an idea to do an explosion like effect.  There isn't enough
>memory
>or time (processor-wise) to do all 8192 pixels (using all of page 1
>and some
>_very_ clever coding might make it possible), but you could do it in
>8x8
>blocks or so.  Each block would be given x and y velocities and the
>screen
>would seem to "explode" with all of the blocks going in random
> [...]

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]