Reminisces (Used to be A86: calc crash)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 03:20 AM 9/4/98 -0400, you wrote:

>> As far as I know, you have to press on 10 times with the AAA
>> batteries out.
>
>Sorry, I accidentally started that 10 times thing a year or so back.
>It's officially 10 SECONDS.

Actually, the way I remember it, I asked a question on one of the TI
channels on Efnet the first night I got my 86 (a long-ass time ago),
because I kept trying to put a game on my calc (Lunoid, if i recall
correctly), and it kept crashing.  Anyway, I aksed about how to resset, cuz
it wouldn't, and it finally spilled over to the A86 list.

In addition, I want to add my two cents to the "lack of great programmers"
thing people have been talking about.  I have been on this list (and the
A85) a really long time.  It's actually kind of mind-boggling how much HD
space my A86 mailbox takes up.  Anyway, when I fisrt got on the list,
people like Dan Eble, Andreas Ess, Jimmy Mardell, Grant Stockley and a
whole bunch of the other really legendary people used to talk on this list,
a lot.  I used to too.  I used to be like #3 on the "most messages sent"
thingie.  And it seems to me that most of these type of people stopped
because of the off-topic thread thing.  Except for Jimmy Mardell, who had
to go serve in the army, most just couldn't take this list anymore.  Mr.
Eble contributes every once in awhile, but mostly not.  Grant moved on to
do harware stuff.  I don't really know what happened to Andreas.  Then
there was Kirk Meyer, who dropped off the list.  I count him among the
second generation of great TI programmers.  Same with ScaBBy, Dux (possible
first generation, I can't really remember, it's been a really long time),
Matt Johnson, and Ahmed (who I still talk to sometimes on ICQ).  Most of
them don't contribute much, or at all, anymore.  I never counted myslef
among any of the lists of really good programmers, I only really released a
cuppla things, and I was never really that interested, but i know that
compared with how the list used to be, I think the state of affairs now is
shameful.  I first started on assembly for this calc, and I aksed a few
questions, and I would get like 6 really helpful responses.  Never got
flames, never started any wars (except for possible the battery thing).
I've seen about 6 Mac/PC, windows/unix, etc. wars and flame-wars since
then.  I think turnover is a really good thing, but I bet less than 10% of
the people who actively participate (not just signed on) knew what happened
to Jimmy.  I mean, there used to be real community.  I don't know what
exaclt to do about what I think is wrong with the list, or if really it
needs to be changed, but maybe I want to start a "Reminisces" thread.
actually, i think I will change the subject now.  Maybe this isn't the most
topical thing in the world, but I want to hear what people have to say.

Robby Gutmann
gutmann@planet-connect.com
ICQ UIN: 724927      Agonostis on IRC

Of course, Ankh-Morpork's citizens had always claimed that the river water
was incredibly pure. Any water that had passed through so many kidneys,
they reasoned, had to be very pure indeed.
	-- (Terry Pratchett, Sourcery)

Follow-Ups: References: