Re: A86: ROM decompilation

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: ROM decompilation

I think you mean RAM.  All the customization features and the variable
allocation table are in the RAM.  We do know a surprising amount about
the RAM, thanks to the include file Ram86.inc (on my web site).  We also
know everything about the innate data formats; if someone were to create
a new variable type, it would be an incredible hack accomplished through
[sqrt]PARSE (maybe, no one's ever gotten [sqrt]PARSE to work), not an
unknown feature created by TI.

Btw, I don't know if anyones said this already, but you should download
a copy of the emulator if you want to disassemble.

linger richard nathan wrote:

> It seems like we know painfully little about the ROMs.  If we know how the
> calculator treats stored data, we could easily figure out all the data
> formats used on the calculator not to mention any customization features
> yet undiscovered.  Is anyone out there working on a massive decompilation
> effort?
>
> A "smart" decompiler would help greatly in this effort.  One that starts
> at absolute address 0x00000 and follows through the code through every
> jump.  It would branch out until every ROM call that gets called is mapped
> out and decompiled.  This would lay to rest any questions about which
> sections of ROM are code and which are data.  We would know if there is
> any way to run the "Willy Do Be Do.. " Easter Egg routine in the normal
> operation of the calc.
>
> Such a decompiler shouldn't be difficult to write at all starting from the
> source code of one of the emulators out there.
>
> Nathan Linger

Follow-Ups: References: