Re: A86: Re: Learn ASM? Check these out!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Learn ASM? Check these out!

>No, I'm not mocking your site at all.  I'm just pointing out that you have
>to program to learn asm.  FAQs won't make you a programmer.  But they sure
>do help when wondering "how do I display this or set this variable".
>
>BTW, these techniques are what work for me.  Individual results may vary...

I wasn't being serious, hence the 'hehe'. My FAQ is cool... But programming
is probably 25% learning and 75% pratice (experience).. You dont have to
even be particually creative, experience will teach you to recognize
problems that you
wouldnt normally think of.. I agree. But explanations..the FAQ and the
tutorials help you get started and find info that isnt
readily available.

Basically I am teaching myself asm by teaching other people asm. Every
section on my site is a section of asm which I need
to learn... such as the TI-OS section.. So I am slowly experimenting with
asm and am working on each section. This site will be huge within three
months (when the TI-89 comes out). When the TI-89 comes out I hope to know
most of what there
is to know about the Z80 and the TI-86, and my site will probably be some
25-50 pages long, with my projects and games
on there too.. Then I will stop working on 86 central and start working on
89 central, learn the 68k processor, and do the
same thing again.

Later,
    Matt

>At 02:14 AM 6/7/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>
>>>I've recently uploaded my first two games to ticalc.org.  Check them out
in
>>>the 86 assembly source section:
>>>
>>>Tic-Tac-Toe v1.0
>>>Space Invaders v1.0
>>>
>>>Both are heavily commented:  every line has a comment!  For everyone
>>>wanting to learn asm, these are a very good place to start!  Grab a copy
of
>>>Assembly Studio 86, TI86EMU, and these programs!  Them read them,
>>>experiment with them, and write your own awsome game!
>>>
>>>The only way to learn asm is to start programming yourself!  You can't
>>>expect some tutorial to magically place the information in your head.
All
>>>the reading of code in the world won't make you know it.  Write a hello
>>>world program.  Understand exactly how it works.  Then write a simple
text
>>>program.  Then do whatever you want.  You have to write code yourself to
>>>learn how to program.  No tutorial or FAQ can teach you that.  It's up to
>>you!
>>

>>Are you mocking my site? Hehe.. well, I think a tutorial and a FAQ can
give
>>you
>>answers that are not readily apparent by reading hundreds of lines of
code.
>>And
>>it doesnt matter if every line is commented, if the person does not know
>>what you
>>are trying to do or the techniques involved then learning what is going on
>>is very
>>difficult.
>>
>>>Here's a good exercise:  find a game with little or no comments (Patrick
>>>Davidson's games are excellent for this) and comment every single line!
If
>>>you don't know what it does, figure it out!  This is almost as good as
>>>writing your own code.
>>

>>I do that alot. Thats the best way to figure how something works.. a great
>>technique
>>
>>>Another:  while writting, comment every line in your source.  It forces
you
>>>to think about what you are doing, and makes it much easier to debug.
It's