Re: A86: Re: Learn ASM? Check these out!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Re: Learn ASM? Check these out!

No, I'm not mocking your site at all.  I'm just pointing out that you have
to program to learn asm.  FAQs won't make you a programmer.  But they sure
do help when wondering "how do I display this or set this variable".

BTW, these techniques are what work for me.  Individual results may vary...

At 02:14 AM 6/7/98 -0400, you wrote:

>>I've recently uploaded my first two games to ticalc.org.  Check them out in
>>the 86 assembly source section:
>>
>>Tic-Tac-Toe v1.0
>>Space Invaders v1.0
>>
>>Both are heavily commented:  every line has a comment!  For everyone
>>wanting to learn asm, these are a very good place to start!  Grab a copy of
>>Assembly Studio 86, TI86EMU, and these programs!  Them read them,
>>experiment with them, and write your own awsome game!
>>
>>The only way to learn asm is to start programming yourself!  You can't
>>expect some tutorial to magically place the information in your head.  All
>>the reading of code in the world won't make you know it.  Write a hello
>>world program.  Understand exactly how it works.  Then write a simple text
>>program.  Then do whatever you want.  You have to write code yourself to
>>learn how to program.  No tutorial or FAQ can teach you that.  It's up to
>you!
>

>Are you mocking my site? Hehe.. well, I think a tutorial and a FAQ can give
>you
>answers that are not readily apparent by reading hundreds of lines of code.
>And
>it doesnt matter if every line is commented, if the person does not know
>what you
>are trying to do or the techniques involved then learning what is going on
>is very
>difficult.
>
>>Here's a good exercise:  find a game with little or no comments (Patrick
>>Davidson's games are excellent for this) and comment every single line!  If
>>you don't know what it does, figure it out!  This is almost as good as
>>writing your own code.
>

>I do that alot. Thats the best way to figure how something works.. a great
>technique
>
>>Another:  while writting, comment every line in your source.  It forces you
>>to think about what you are doing, and makes it much easier to debug.  It's
>>hard to figure out what those 50 lines did when you haven't seen it in 2
>>weeks.  Plus, you can figure out if the instruction is actually doing what
>>you want it to do.
>

>Tell that to Matthew Shepcar (author of Rascall, Raptor, etc).. I remember
>his only
>comment was like a smiley face or something.. Heheh
>
>Later,
>    Matt

// David Phillips
// mailto:electrum@tfs.net