Re: A86: Please read this!!! New shell!!! I need help!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Snoops010@aol.com wrote:

> > Dan Eble wrote:
> >  > > -TASKS TRAY (works with multitasking)
> >  > > -MULTITASKING
> >  >
> >  > I don't want to get into an argument over this. (Well, maybe I do.)
> >  > Multitasking on the TI-86 is not that useful.  How often do you need
> >  > to FTP a file, spool a print job, and read your email concurrently on
> >  > your calculator?
> >  <Snip>
> >  >
> >  > > -TI-OS COMMAND LINE
> >  >
> >  > That's a cute idea.  I have a better idea, though.  How about making the
> >  > shell so easy to activate that you can bounce out and back in with just
> >  > one or two key strokes?  That would be more efficient and elegant.
> >
> >  I like Jimmy Merdell's idea of making multitasking just a way of pausing
> >  one process and starting another.  I agree that it would be silly with
> >  the amount of processor speed we have to try and get them to run
> >  simultaneously, but I think that the ability to pause and switch
> >  (especially to the TI-OS Command line) would be useful.
> >
> >  Stan
> >

> I must agree with Dan.  I mean, what's the point??!!  Even if you pause the
> program for so-called multitasking, it wouldn't really be multitasking.  The
> other programs wouldn't be running, they'd just be paused!  So you couldn't
> benefit from 'multitasking'

there can be benefits from it, but only if the programs are worthwhile,
like if they had a clipboard to get data from one prog to another (that
is only if it would be worth it to have a word processor, etc. on the
calc)

Follow-Ups: References: