Re: A86: Standards

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A86: Standards

Dan Eble writes:
>  No, and it's something we should definitely discuss.  It would be good to
>  store all data in type $0B variables, so that they don't get confused with

Is there any way of making a program/.86? file automatically this type? (e.g.
A byte before the name in the .86? file?)  If not, how could it be changed or
created?

>  other variables.  Each data type should have it's own identifier: maybe a
>  4-byte name (similar to extensions in DOS) stored within the variable.

?
You mean, have all the $0B variables have a 4 letter name, or what?  I don't
see the purpose for that.  It should be just as easy to have an 8 letter
name, with possibly a pointer to the name of the program that uses it or a
brief description...

>  Somewhere, perhaps on my web page, we should keep a registry of all the
>  different types of files so that no one will duplicate one and mess
>  something up.
>
>  First, a format must be decided upon, though.

Definitely.  I suggest something like this:

ret              ;In case there's any way to run it
.db <description>,0     ;Description, such as "Chem86 Data File"

;Data goes here

~Stephen  Hicks