Re: A85: Assembly virus

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Assembly virus

In a message dated 3/8/99 7:28:53 PM MST, mnemonicdevice@hotmail.com writes:

> Alright, I know this couldn't possibly work else it would have been done
>  before, but why couldn't someone write code that would use Usgard's TSR
>  calls to attach itself to the system and then wreak havoc with the
>  system somehow.  My thought was perhaps have it increment a 32bit
>  location, then read a 16bit location which is the less-significant side
>  of the 32bit value.  If that 16bit value = 00 (basically.. the 256th
>  time Usgard is loaded) then hang the system.  Or delete variables.  Or
>  diddle the first 7 bytes of Usgard so that IT will hang the calc.  Etc.
>
>  I don't have the mad skillz to do this, but if I did, I would!
>
>  --Matt Cooper

Sorry, been done many, *many* times incidently when trying to find the bug in
the program that makes the calc crash :)  A virus on the 85 (and any other
calculator) would be pretty useless, cause the worst thing it could do is
crash your calc...bad thing is if you had some good programs on your calc you
didn't have backed up on the PC (but, then again, if you're stupic enough
*not* to backup your files important files, then maybe you deserve a "virus"
:)

JL