Re: Re: Re: A85: Shells and games

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re: Re: A85: Shells and games

On Sat, Sep 20, 1997 10:20 AM, Robert Isaacs <mailto:risaacs@eng.usf.edu>
wrote:
 :) Mac.. Hmm.. cooperative multitasking.. no multithreading...  Requires
 :) overpriced proprietary hardware..  Thats one HOT os!
 :)
 :) Windows 95.. Hmm.. Preemptive multi-tasking, multithreaded.. runs on
over
 :) 150 million PCs..

What?! You don't even know what you're talking about.

Windows 95's multitasking is no better than System 8's. Windows 95 uses
multithreading, not pre-emptive multitasking. Apple has made a Thread
Manager available for years now, even longer than Windows 3.1 has been out,
but multithreading just isn't as popular on the Mac as it is in Windows.
System 8's Finder uses multithreading, though.

For the record, Windows NT (and BeOS, and Rhapsody, and AmigaDOS, etc...)
use pre-emptive multitasking. But not Windows 95.

Proprietary systems will always be better than open systems. With
proprietary systems, Apple has made it so that the hardware is always
universal & has far less problems. With open systems, there is no one to
set the standards, and so things get corrupted too easily. In that sense,
proprietary systems are better than open systems, even though there aren't
as many as them.

Besides that, every PC made today bends over backwards to be compatible
with hardware systems invented in the late 1970s. The Mac architecture,
however, went over a major overhaul in 1991 & a minor overhaul in 1995.
There has never been a major overhaul of PC technology - the CPUs & busses
have become faster, but the hardware (with the exception of PCI) is more or
less the same.

 :) Apple + Rhapsody or BeOS = Fine..  Apple + SystemX = RIP

Rhapsody is a server only operating system. Apple probably will not market
Rhapsody to end users, since there's no real reason why any end users would
want to run it. The regular Mac System is fine for me, especially since my
Mac can't run Rhapsody...

 :) Macs would be cool if they upgraded their archaic OS and opened their
 :) machine up to cloning to lower prices...  They brought back that
egomaniac
 :) Steve Jobs.. now its all over..

Their "archaic OS" is years beyond the capabilities of "Windows 95",
although I've never met a PC fanatic who would confess to this.

 :) The worst part is..  The Macs are the reason the TI Graphlink costs
over
 :) $35!  TI couldnt get a standard parallel cable to work with Macs
 :) (basically), so they had to build a cable with an IC on it to work
 :) correctly with Macs..

Because Macs don't use parallel ports - every Mac made since 1984 has
included two serial ports, with the exception of some PowerBook models.

I'm not sure why TI didn't just make a direct serial-to-serial connection.
But I'm happy with my Graph Link cable, anyway, even though it did cost a
lot.

Nick Zitzmann                             No WWW page at this time.
(Macintosh Forever! PSX Rules!)
                                          Windows 95:
                                          The most expensive solitare game
                                           that money can buy.