Re: A85: RPG survey

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: RPG survey

At 04:55 PM 9/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I am thinking about making an RPG, and I want to get some input on this
>idea. First of all, it will NOT be graphical. Large-scale Graphics are

Good, if it was graphical I *would* be forced to kill you :)

>too slow, and besides they get complicated with enemies and such. It
>will be an all-text RPG, with the user inputting by sentence commands,
>e.g. WALK EAST or CLIMB TREE. Has anyone played that old game Dungeon?
>It will be kinda like that. So here is the survey:

Sounds good, like the old Infocom games.

>1) Would people be interested in such a game? I expect the (single)
>level to be a 64x64 grid. At each grid square the engine would give the
>player info about what is at the square. The user can do things within
>the square or move to a new square by saying WALK EAST or WEST or NORTH
>or SOUTH. Of course, you will have to remember where you are because it
>is all text.

Yes - but IMHO, go one step further and add an auto-map, it would kick some
royal ass.  The only reason I disliked the old games is cuz I kept getting
lost.

>2) Would such a game be feasible? I think I can do the programming on
>the translation from sentences to commands, but there are a lot of
>things I'm not taking into account.

Very feasable - more so than a graphical RPG.

>3) Has anyone programmed such a game for the PC? If so email me, your
>help would be useful.

Grab Adventure Gaming Toolkit (do a search) - it's an engine itself that
does games like that, and the source is released too.  There's a Zork clone
that comes with it, too.  It could give you ideas on making it modular as
possible.

You may want to just shorthand commands:

W = WEST
E = EAST
etc
I = INVENTORY
T = TALK

---
Evil Jim
Viva La Mexico
<eviljim@writeme.com>
http://members.tripod.com/~eviljim/
I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming in pain like
the passengers in my car...

Follow-Ups: References: