Re: A85: Link Port

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A85: Link Port

John Koch wrote:

> How fesiable would it be to make a program that password protects your
> link-port?

While its feasible, its probably not worth it. Instead, make a program
that locks the person in the shell maybe, or locks the whole calc.

> I mean, I let my friends use my calculator, but they are
> always either trying to take my games or give me ones that might have
> bugs in them.

What exactly do you mean by "take your games"? Why do you mind other
people playing your games?? Are they shareware that you have paid for or
something?

> So I want a program that you could not Recieve or
> Transmit Files without a password.  I'm sure this is possible by either
> place a CALL in the rom before the link options to an asm code.

Umm... do you have any idea what you are talking about?
R=read
O=only
M=memory

> We have
> done things sorta like this with TSR's.  Not the same thing thou.  But I
> also might want them to have access to teh math functions and stuff, so
> I don't want to keep them stuck in Z-Shell C-Shell or whatever shell I
> have on at the time.

Oh...well, yes it is possible to do it, probably there is a byte(s)
somewhere in RAM used by the TIOS to figure out exactly what menu is
on... You can use a TSR to test that byte(s) and change them if they
signify the link port.

A cooler idea is to check the keys being pressed, and disable 2nd-xvar
by checking the key port for x-var and if it is held down, call get_key
(thus destroying the x-var keycode which is stored as the last key
pressed)! I'm not sure this would work, but i'm there is a possiblity...

BTW, you'll probably want to use Usgard or Rigel, NOT CShell. Because
you'll have to change the backup for CShell to use a TSR, and its lots
of unnessecary trouble.

--
Terry Peng <tpeng@geocities.com>