LZ: Usgard user beware!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

LZ: Usgard user beware!

I have researched the 23k problem in the small backup and I found a very
simple problem: THE MEMORY IS _FRAGMEMTED_!! For those of you who don't
understand, the calculator's memory can never be fragmented because
everything is moved up when something in the middle is deleted and everything
is moved down when something gets larger. At approximately $9500 in memory (I
can't recall the exact location, but could look it up), there is a 3k
(roughly) hole in the user variable memory (right after yStat and before the
first library). This hole was probably caused when the shell was being moved
to the top of the memory. I dumped the hole and got this: "log sin cos tan
log sin cos tan log sin cos tan..." about 50 times. This text was NOT caused
by some random error. Someone must have typed it in. How it became located in
an undefined part of memory I don't know. This could explain some of the bugs
in Explore. It will eventually crash your calculator, almost for sure. And
the person who mentioned the jump in program memory (I just glanced at your
letter), the calcuator probably explained the hole by calling it part of the
program memory (why, I wouldn't know; ask the calculator).

I have not checked the larger backup for VAT errors but would be happy to do
so. I also belive that this is not the only VAT error in the small backup
because VAT errors usually lead to more VAT errors.

I would be happy to fix the backup(s) for you Usgard programmers if you'd
like. I mentioned that I'd write a VAT fixer (like scandisk), but haven't
gotten around to it. I'll fix the Usgard problem(s) by hand, though.