Re: LZ: Directory category suggestions for the Expander?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Directory category suggestions for the Expander?

>Once upon a time, I thought about making a driver program (ZShell) for
>the expander, but I haven't worked on it for a while. The interface is
>mostly done, it just doesn't know how to manipulate the TI memory or the
>expander yet.. I was thinking of some way to store stuff to the expander
>in nameable blocks. For example, a single 4kb block of the expander could
>hold almost 4kb of variables (any type) from the calc. Or, if desired,
>consecutive blocks could be combined for upwards of 4kb. Each block would
>have a name assigned to it, located at the beginning of the block.
>Information could also be stored thereto indicate how many consecutive
>blocks arte part of the same batch, and what variables are contained in
>this particular block. Then the program could produce a list of all
>"folders" (which would be retrieved from the expander), and when the
>user chooses a "folder," its contents (variables) would be displayed.
>They could then be selected individualy or in a group to be copied to the
>calc. Of course, still the only way to delete information would be in 4kb
>blocks. Also, the only way to change the name of a "folder" or the number
>of blocks it includes would be to erase all of the blocks included in
>that folder.
>
>This probably isn't a very clear description of what I had in mind, and
>is probably too much work to accomplish, but it was a try..

You're basically talking about a modified fragmented filing system.
It has both advantages over my system and disadvantages.  I guess it's
just a matter of programming preference.

-Mel
-The TI-Memory Expansion Homepage
-http://www.egr.msu.edu/~tsaimelv/expander.htm