Re: LZ: my 2 frozen cents on USGARD

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

WindowsWiz@aol.com wrote:

> USGARD is frighteningly similar to Windows 95, with all the code bloat as
> well!

> The menus are a pain to work through.  I really don't want to spend 5 minutes
> muddling through menus only to select the wrong game by accident.  And how do
> you add a program to a menu?  Using a seperate "add/remove programs" applet
> (isn't this sounding more and more like Win95?) gets on my nerves when the

Ah - have you tried to use another shell...? Most ppl (?) don't use that
Win95 shell because of the reasons you mention - a lot of menus, lot of needed
programs etc. Try the cool shell (it's worth the extra size compared to the
simple shell imho).

(Out of topic: Well with YOUR email address it seems you like it :) )

> If you say "Usgard is actually quite small," then you are only partly right.
>  Although the actual kernel may be small, the libraries just gobble up
> memory.  Who wants to only have room for very few programs?  I don't care if
> it uses "code saving" libraries that make the program only a few hundred
> bytes smaller, when the necessary libraries take up a dozen kilobytes!

Put these files on the calc:

Usgard   2066
displib   354
hufflib   230
spritlib  313
usgdcool  690
usgdlib   284
zcplib     82

Lets say you put a few Usgard games on the calc, for instance ZTetris 3.0L,
darkness (this game can be good) and Plainjump. In those three games,
all above libraries have been used once, except usgdlib and zcplip which
has been used twice. You've save about 350 bytes, and then only the library
stuff have been considered.

You should also have winlib on the calc I think. Not very many games uses
it, and will not use it. It's quite big, and not really necessary.

> One last thing...do the world a favor and get rid of the loud background
> graphic and replace it with (insert fanfare) a plain, dull background!

Do it your self - delete the background string...

--
Jimmy Mårdell                   "Searching for shelter
mailto:mja@algonet.se            My brain is on ice