Re: LZ: Thoughts on mass-storage systems

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 6 Jul 1997 VRWhitt@aol.com wrote:

> What about using an EEPROM(??) i2c circuit to do the job?  There is already a
> text file describing how to write a program using an i2c interface (i2c.txt).
>  That would probably be simpler than trying to store information on a
> cassette tape.

I managed to rig up a NS EEPROM using I2c to the calc and send/recieve
data from it.  It wouldn't be worth it though - the biggest that NS makes
these chips (last time I checked) was 2KB.  Any bigger, and we lose the
I2c interface.  Then we have to write our own, as well as reduce all the
inputs to two wires and the ground.  So I think that's out.

BTW: for those familiar with I2C, for an unknown reason the 2KB chip
     won't allow any other chips of such make on the I2c bus, it only
     responds to address 111 - NO MATTER what.  Doh.

BTWA: If anyone else is interested in rigging up PC hardware to the 85,
      I found a 8-page thing of info on mice - data packet formats,
      construction, etc. that includes all mice ( serial, MS, PS/2, etc. )
      It's at http://www.hut.fi/~then/mytexts/mouse.html if you want it.
      Lots of other cool stuff at that site too.

Ryan J. Myers ( Webmaster )      rmyers@inetarena.com (ICQ UIN 1473314)
Portland, Oregon ( US )          http://boris.inetarena.com/
"Nolite tes bastardes carborundum." - Margaret Atwood
"C> REALITY.SYS is corrupt, reboot universe? (Y|N)" - Anonymous
The contents of this email are my own opinions and do not represent the
positions of my employers or any of their subsidiaries unless specifically
stated as such.

Follow-Ups: References: