Re: A85: My problem with libraries

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

mozart@technologist.com wrote:

> 82nd Deer wrote:
> > You could make a 100-200 byte shell that would simply let you input the
> > name of the program to run.
>
> You could save even more space by just having the user recall the
> variable (in the homescreen), then check if Ans was an ASM string, and
> (if so), run it.  Anybody want a 200 Byte OS?

Actually, I'm afraid this wouldn't be that useful, because when you
recall something (into Ans), the calc makes a copy of it.  So you will
always need to have at least as much free mem as the size of the prog,
space which could have just as easily been filled with a bigger shell.
Wait a minute... you could do something like that, have  a shell with no
UI, and have a string, say RunThis or something, and you store the name
of the prog you want to run into that string, then start the shell (from
the custom menu as usual).  It could just go look for that string, then
check what is in it, then run that prog, if it exists.  So maybe you
could still do a 200 byte OS! :)

--
Ben Shakal
shakalb98@jhs.net