A85: Multi Shell programming (was Sqrxz 0.7b)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A85: Multi Shell programming (was Sqrxz 0.7b)

This goes back abit but i remember when a certain program was released
on
ticalc and the author objected saying that it could only be put on
ti-files
and pages not affiliated with ticalc. I thought that was pretty annoying
of
the author to force his hate of a page on all users wishing to download
the
program. I think this whole thing about programming for only one shell
(the
one they sponsor/ or have written) is just as bad. Ever since all the
zshell
clones have come out, each has added their own features (most
undocumented)
making it impossible for something from one shell to be run on another
shell.

 I think that we need a standard to be set, otherwise authors will need
continue to program in zshell4 format to keep compatiblity or write
versions
of their programs for all shells out there. (i suppose you could release
the
source code and let someone else port it for you); anyway back on track
we
need a standard to be set. until recently zshell was our standard and
every
program was written for it and it would run on any shell, but since
zshell4.5
hasn't shown yet new shells are starting to come out. It's getting
obvious
that zshell4 isn't enough anymore. We need a shell that will set the
standard
for all shell current and new to use. PhatOS started to be that, only
using
features well documented from other shells and documenting new features,
but
it seems PhatOS isn't that popular. Maybe we could get a shell to
release it's
source and then anyone could send in parts of code for the next version.
(if
anyone thought that was a good idea mail me, i'll make sure it doesn't
happen
again) Perhaps we will release the PhatOS code; because nobody else
seems to
be talking about how the internals of their shell work.

Mike Baker
mbm00@hotmail.com

Jeff Tyrrill wrote:

> There are many people who still have ZShell on their calculators and will for
> quite a long time, especially at schools where it has been passed around and
> only 1 or 2 people have Graph Links. Although Usgard is a good shell and
> programs for it are smaller and faster, less people will be able to play
> Usgard games simply the shell is not very widespread. I plan to make my
> programs for ZShell first, because the majority of people still have it on
> their calcs, and Usgard users can still use the ZShell version, and then
> Usgard later, so people who use Usgard (I will probably be among them as soon
> as the final version is released) can save space on their calcs. What do
> people think about this? Is this what other programmers plan to do?
>
> Jeff Tyrrill
> http://tyrrill-ticalc.home.ml.org/
> http://ti-files.home.ml.org/

Follow-Ups: References: