Re: LZ: Questions about RAM Extender

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Questions about RAM Extender

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996 17:56:37 -0700, you wrote:
>I have a couple questions about the RAM Extender. First of all, I know =
that
>getting the data transfer rates of the calculator and the expander to be
>close was difficult. Will this be different or a problem on "turboed"
>calculators, where they are 3,3.5 or any number of values as fast as =
normal?

Turboed calculators shouldn't be a problem, but they may need a slight
modification to the send and receive routines.  I'll probably have a
"Turbo Calc" option in the software.

>My other question is how are programs going to be put in the RAM =
Extender?
>Will a custom link program be written, or will the one on the 85 be =
used?
>Will this limit to transferring data in 28K or so segments? I observed =
that
>with the regular transfer program on the 85 that sometimes it prints =
"Done"
>after it is finished, like a program. This makes it possible that the =
link
>is actually a self-run program in the 85. If this is true and we can get=
>hold of it and convert it to put items into the RAM Extender correctly, =
>lot of problems would be solved.

It will use a custom link program, and (for now) you will be limited
to sending 28k at a time (like you said).  However, in the future I
plan on designing a direct computer-to-expander link which will allow
unlimited size transferrs (this should be just a simple parallel port
connection, but the ti-parallel link won't work here). =20

>Also, how will programs be interfaced in the RAM Extender. Will it have =
>catalog of the data it currently has and addresses at which it can be
>found? Will it support only raw data, or specific types, which would =
open
>up possibilities of different file types like programs, sounds and
>graphics.

Right now I'm planning on supporting program files, strings, and a
user defined "Raw Data" format for whatever you want.  Depending on a
number of factors, some or all of the other TI-85 file types will be
supported, but I'm not sure.

Within the next day or two I'll be done with my "TI RAM Expansion
FAQ."

-Mel

<pre>
--