Re: LZ: Re: $4 serial link prob

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Re: $4 serial link prob

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996, SAM STAUFFER wrote:

> -> Yes, and when you end up frying your calc, I bet you can easily build
> -> another one yourself for a fraction of the cost ($100).  It is a
> -> _far_ better idea to invest in a graphlink, or build yourself the
> -> Connect85 hardware.  Both of these are more expensive to build/make,
> -> but offer protecion for your calc which $4/$5 cables don't.
>
> It is difficult to fry your calculator with the link cable.

Indeed.  The main argument is that there is a paltry diode protecting
your calculator from the voltages of the parallel port, and if that diode
(well, there are two of them, but the chain is only as strong as it's
weakest link) fails, your calculator will be exposed to them.

However, there are two things wrong with that idea, one, when a diode
fails it usually just stops passing current in either direction, rather
than passing a current in either direction.  Second, a parallel port (if
I recall) uses TTL voltages, which is what the TI uses .. so the worst
that will happen, from my understanding, is that the TI-85 will freeze
for a few seconds because the voltages are wrong and it tries to send
screen image.

dreamer