Re: LZ: Teleconferece

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Teleconferece

Min Idzelis wrote:

> PROTOCOL IDEA:
> ok... this is something that would be VERY simple. Since data comming from
> the port is 1s and 0s, we can send text in morse code. 1s would be dots, and
> 0s will be dashes. Everybody who wants to chat connects at the same
> frequency. The software for the TI would do this. If the calculator is
> receiving, it would not transmit. So it won't interfere with the
> transmittion. If a person tries to transmit, it would be put in a "cache"
> and transmitted when  the line is free. And that's all you need. To make
> people on the link more distinguashable, you could make the software prefix
> the name of the calc in front of every transmittion. All of this would be in
> morse code. If 1s and 0s won't work, (because of timming difficulties), you
> could make a dot be 11 and a dash be 01, and 00 would be the "line clear"
> signal. So other people can broadcast when there is a stead 00. Does this
> make sence?? It would be easy to impliment, like only a couple thousand
> bytes, i imagine less than 6000???? I think.

If the calculator is receving it would not transmit?  That could be a problem.
Imagine this: Two ti-85s, each waiting till they're done receving, send at the same
time. Result: instant crapola.  This is a huge program with most networks, especially
ethernet.  However, this is not a bad thing.  On ethernet, if a packet is garbled
(collides), the sender just waits a random amount of time before resending.  This
might not be practical with the TI-85, I don't know.  Another solution is a token
ring.  There is only one token per network, which allows a computer to send.  This
token is then passed around.  Since there is only one system transmitting at a time,
there are no collides.  The only part of this that i can't figure is how to originally
initiallize the network.  Probably the system listens for traffic on a net, and if it
cant find any, it initallizes the net and gives it an id.  Probably every few loops it
checks to see if any other/new systems are online, one id after another, and fixes the
loop accordingly.

Right now visions of a two-layer stack are drifting through my head (application and
physical layer protocols, suitiable for networked games chat, or anything elseyou can
think of, in a standardized routine library for zshell 4.5) that way, you'd have a
standard link system, and all you'd have to worry about is getting your data into the
physical protocol and out the door (or port 7).

I think i'd better get some more sleep.
<pre>
--