Re: LZ: zshell and custom menu

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: zshell and custom menu

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, David Kristensen wrote:

> Has anyone worked more on putting other programs than zshell in the custom
> menu? It theoretically would not be too hard, but it would have to handle a
> lot of stuff that zshell normally does, such as zero out the text memory.
> Zshell, however, is still very helpful in that it checks out the rom
> versions and compensates for them. I have an idea, then, that would allow
> other programs to be run from zshell but still appear as another slot in the
> custom menu. Perhaps it could be included in zshell 5.0 or later versions?
> My idea is this: F1 will point to zshell at address x, and F2 will point to
> address y which will look like this:
> x:
>         ld hl, ZS_BITS                  ; or something other than ZS_BITS ...
>         set 7, (hl)
>         jr z
> y:
>         ld hl, ZS_BITS
>         res 7, (hl)
> z:
>         rest of zshell stuff such as memory clearing and others
>         bit 7, (hl)
>         JUMP_Z(address located from somewhere else)
>
> Theoretically, this idea is pretty simple. The problem is, however, where to
> store the address that the custom menu points to. Basically, the only thing
> this feature would do would be to jump to the program before showing the
> zshell menu with all the choices for programs. The address(es) could be
> stored at the end of zshell, but I don't even want to get into how many
> problems THAT would cause. However, it could search for another string (it
> would have to search each time as the string would be customizable and so
> would change length and probably even locations, and could even be sent from
> calc to calc). It would then check this string and jump to the location
> stored in it. This would be set up in such a way that the user could specify
> which program he or she wanted put in whichever custom slot, like so

It sounds great! But I don't know if you thought about one thing..  To
get the ZShell into the custom menu you have to transfer it as a mem
backup.. i suspect that to get the other programs you would have to do
that also.. whickh would erase ZShell.  I'm not saying that it won't
work.. but I don't know how you would get the program into the custom
menu.. But if it works I'd love a copy!

			MadsenD (Dave Madsen)