Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet (fwd)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet (fwd)

I tried doing that exact same thing a year ago.  I ended up with the
problem of the radio link.  Most radio links are half-duplex (they may
have the illusion of full-duplex, but it's really just two connections)
and so you can't just run a normal modem through.  What the HAM-radio
world came up with is packet radio, and they are available, but it was
over my budget, require a license, and the project died.

<pre>
---
site									ignore

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, greg wrote:

> 	Welp, I've been on and off this list for quite some time now, and haven't
> really said much. But this particular topic has sparked my interest. Any
> ways, I just thought that I would share my 10 cents with you people.
> 	First of all, I feel that the ethernet adapter stuff was pretty
> interesting to read, but isn't really a good idea. This is because in order
> to connect your calc to the ethernet thing, you have to have access to a
> jack. Then, from that jack, you have to have wires running to your
> calculator. I think it is rare that you ever find jacks, and if you do
> happen to find one, not many people want to drag 50 feet of cable around
> with them.
> 	Secondly, I want to share my thoughts on how we could POSSIBLY connect our
> calculators to the internet. The problem with my plan though, is that it
> would require working RT-links. The way the setup would go is that you
> would have 1 of the RT-links connected to a parralell or serial port on you
> computer at home. You would also, of course, have an RT-link connect to
> your calculator. Now, you would be able to tranfer data from your computer
> to calculator and vice versa. So what you do is you get your computer
> connected to the internet through your ISP or whatever, and make some nifty
> little programs for the computer that would read data from the internet and
> translate it into binary so it could send it to the calculator. The
> calculator would then have a program to receive the info and display it on
> the lcd.
> 	For instance, you could make an irc program for your computer that would
> do all of the work (formatting, etc) and basically send a stream of text to
> the calculator. The stream of text would be a clone of what was being
> displayed on the computer. This way, the only thing the calculator would
> have to do is display the text it receives from its host, the computer. By
> using this method, the program on the calculator would be quite small
> (since basically all it is is a text viewer), yet would be quite powerful
> (since the computer at home is doing all of the work). I feel that if we
> ever get REAL working RT-links, this plan would be entirely feasible and
> quite easy to accomplish. Of course the RT-links would have to be able to
> transmit a fair distance. Hope you people understand what i'm trying to get
> across to you.
>
> -greg
> gregb@serv01.net-link.net
>
> ps. no flames about how the rt-links don't work or anything please

> > From: SPARKY <sparky@elobservador.com>
> > To: list-zshell@defiant.rbk.sollentuna.se
> > Subject: Re: LZ: ZShell and Internet
> > Date: Friday, August 02, 1996 10:19 PM
> >
> > This is iteresting!  DO you think that this could happen?  If so, please
> > contact me immediately, at my email address.

</pre>