Re: LZ: Sprites

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: Sprites

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Joshua Lynch wrote:

>         I was wondering what a sprite is. I noticed that the Nintendo
> GameBoy uses a similar Z-80 processor so I came to the conclusion that maybe
> the TI-85 had them/it too. Could someone explain what they are and what they
> are good for and if the TI-85 has them?

Sprites are small (usually) movable graphics objects that can be
moved around on the screen and animated.  They're really small bitmaps.
Most systems only have sprites in software but some do have sprites
in hardware.  They are not a feature of the cpu, though.  There's
additional hardware to handle them.

The Z80 doesn't directly support sprites even in the gameboy.  And
the cpu in the gameboy, from what I've read, is not Z80 compatible
anyway.  It's not a clone.  It's just modelled after it.

Barry