Re: LZ: zshell questions...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: LZ: zshell questions...

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996 02:33:03 -0500 timmyt@gnt.net (Timethy Toner) writes:

>I've got it!  We can build a TCP/IP interface to log into the Utah
>Atomic
>Clock homepage to update the TI clock every few minutes in order to
>keep the
>clock accurate.
>
>Or even better, we can build a TI-LINK circuit that interfaces to a
>genuine
>crystal, which we can count and keep accurate time.
>
>Better yet!  We can build an analogue to digital interface and connect
>the
>TI to a self-winding Rolex gear setup.  That way, there's no current
>draw
>from the batteries!

Well, at least you're trying to be funny.  However, it was better the
first time I heard it on this list last week.  I'm sorry if this is
personal or insulting, but the comments to which I reply are completely
out of place.  The idea of a simple timer is not that far fetched, and
even if it were, who cares?  The purpose of this list is to share ideas about programming.  Those of us in the real world call it BRAINSTORMING.
Everyone knows that a clock on a calculator isn't as good as a watch, but
if someone wants to program one, let him or her.  My purpose in
continuing the discussion was not to argue that a clock could be made on
the calculator, but rather to share a thought which might potentially
result in a good idea.  For instance, this thread might remind someone else of a function on the calculator which is relatively constant on the calculator regardless of the capacitor speed.  Although it would never be
accurate enough for a clock, it might suffice as a delay to make games
run at a playable speed on turbo speed calculators, and even if it
doesn't amount to anything, so what!  Successful or not, none of these zshell games will be remembered in ten years anyway.  (If you don't believe me, think who was the governor general of Australia 10 years ago -- he
was in charge of a whole continent and has probably already been
forgotten.)  By discouraging those who are trying to learn assembly and
those who are trying to have an inventive thought and those who are
trying to dream, a few stolid, unhappy people are going to send this
project to a rapid demise.  Furthermore, zshell itself came about
because some people were not bound by functional fixedness, and did something with the calculator which was perhaps a little outside of that for
which it was intended.  What I'm trying to say is: FOR GOODNESS SAKE BE CREATIVE!!  Oh well, I guess I should expect no more from one who cannot even think of his own jokes.  Once again I'm sorry.  I simply worry that
if this site cannot be a place where new ideas are expressed freely,
that its use by programmers will soon cease, and zshell's fall into
obscurity will soon follow.