[A83] Re: 83p os

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: 83p os

> The reason that the calculation takes a long time is because even running
> flat out, the Z80 can't do FP math very fast.  Having user interaction at
> the same time would slow it even more.
I think you wanted to say TIOS instead of Z80. One improvement could be
using binary arithmetic instead of decimal. We don't need decimal digits
in the internal calculations. Also, there should be an option for purely
integer math (say with 64-bit integers, that would allow for 19
decimals), which could be done even faster then. Often there's no need
for FP numbers.

> Just the overhead of witching from one process to another would
> kill it, even if the second process did nothing but idle.
That depends on the actual implementation.

PG